James Larsen (P.Eng., MBA)
Dr. Gregory Zhang (Ph.D.)
Founder and CTO
Pieter de Koning (P.Eng., MBA)
Scott Peever, (P.Eng., MBA)
VP Business Development
- e-Zinc Raises (CAD) $2.3 Mn to Accelerate Commercialization of its Energy Storage Tech
- Canada’s e-Zinc Raises Millions to Commercialize Long-Duration Zinc Energy
- e-Zinc Wins up to $700K as a Finalist in Impact Canada’s Charging the Future Challenge
- e-Zinc Named One of Caltech’s Rocket Fund 2020 Awardees
- e-Zinc wins a $1.6 million grant as one of ten winners of Breakthrough Energy Solutions Canada
- Global Cleantech 100, 2023
About the Company
Founded in 2012, e-Zinc is a Toronto-based corporation that has developed a breakthrough electrochemical technology for storing energy in zinc metal. This low-cost, flexible, and long-duration energy storage solution will provide the platform for the world’s energy markets to be fully powered by renewable energy, enabling a zero-carbon energy future.
About the Solution
e-Zinc’s technology is a paradigm shift in energy storage. By storing electrical energy within zinc metal, the system can store hundreds of hours of energy capacity while being significantly cheaper than battery technologies.
e-Zinc’s technology decouples power from energy, allowing low-cost scaling of storage capacity based on three principles:
1. Zinc metal, which has a high energy density and is inexpensive, is used as the energy carrier.
2. The zinc metal is detached from electrodes allowing the metal to be stored independently at a low cost, unlike rechargeable batteries in which the energy-bearing metal is fixed on the electrodes.
3. The storage space is located within the same electrochemical cell as the charging and discharging electrodes, enabling a simple operation.